The first time Austin and I went to New York was a bit awkward. We had known each other/been dating for a whopping 3 weeks when it happened. I told him my friend and I wanted to go to New York to see my sister. He said use Priceline. I said that scared me and I didn't know how. He said he'd show me. We sat at his work and he began taking me through it step by step. The plan was to go through the entire process, re-bids and all, with a ridiculously low starting price, just so I got the feel and could do it on my own. Imagine our surprise/shock/embarrassment when our $140 bid (that is including taxes people!) went through for two round-trip tickets to New York. One with my name, one with his. We both sat there just staring at the screen. Oh, hey, I'm so glad we are going to New York together, what was your last name again? Fun phone calls were placed after that to my parents and my sister. (That picture is of us in front of the World Trade Center about a month before 9/11)Now, not so awkward. My sister was expecting me to arrive with Austin, as well as the Munchkin. She kept the Munchkin so Austin and I could enjoy the city for a couple days sans kiddo. I had to drag my straight, non-divaish husband to a musical of divas - Wicked. He hadn't seen it. He actually really liked it, do I say love it? Would that make him feel strange? Then, per tradition, dragged our sleepy selves to Serendipity's.

We had tickets to Conan O'Brien. As I was walking into NBC studios someone rushes past me brushing my shoulder. It's Brian Williams. He was whistling and he had glasses on. He was shorter than I expected him to be and he gave me a look like, I'm a nice guy, but I've got important things to work on so don't talk to me. What would I have said anyway? Hey Brian, hang out with me for three weeks and then we'll Priceline a trip to Hawaii together.
Conan was fun. I 'wooed' a lot during the taping so I could hear myself later on the show. Conan was shorter than I expected too. But no worries, his guests, Greg Kinnear and JJ Abrams looked pretty much as I expected them to. The band didn't look anything like I planned. I'd never seen them so I had a certain image in my head. But the keyboardist looked like Neil Diamond. I kept waiting for him to jump up and sing 'their coming to America....today!!!'
New York is re-energizing and exhausting. An amazing city.

21 comments:
Ahh, New York gotta love it! Remember our trip there? That was good times, except the part where I got strep throat. :)
That is such a funny story! It looks like it was a fantastic trip!
Looks like a great trip. How fun to go with just the two of you and to have known each other a bit longer than three weeks. I love that story.
Some people find out who they are going to marry through prayers, or their parents, and then there are the rare few that find out through priceline.
Sounds like so much fun! I love that story about you and Austin...that is too funny! Hopefully we will see you guys more now that we are in Utah!....i'm glad you came to Portland when you did!!
ah, but you never forget your first time to new york con MERZY, right? you were a tasty pillow in the met right after our red eye flight.
I love new york! I have never heard that story of the first trip to new york! that is really funny! I love the musical wicked, but you already know that! It is so awesome!
Sara- Of course I remember our first time to New York. I felt so bad you got strep throat. We were running like crazy! I don't know how you kept up.
Thanks Kate!
Millie- you always make me laugh. Who needs prayer when you have priceline for such decisions?
Nat- I'm so glad we came down when we did. I'm sure we will see you guys this December.
Merzy- I totally remember you and I think Hilary laying on me in the met while I ate a granola bar. We were so tired and probably a bit cranky at that point.
Belle- Maybe sometime we can see Wicked together. It is a fun show.
You are becoming a New York expert. I have been once but only got to hang out for a day. I've known you longer for 3 weeks, so I think we should go. By the way, I have been having weird dreams about you lately. They are funny. I will have to email you them.
I love the first trip to NYC story...especially the part about the McFlurry. Looks like a great time. Brad also loves Wicked. Let's meet up in Chicago sometime. It's another uh-mazing big city.
p.s. I love Conan. and the fact that he's Liz Lemon's ex boyfriend. But I love Neil Diamond more. I don't know where drummers who look like Neil Diamond would rank.
Kara- e-mail me those dreams. I am so curious. But I think it only natural I should be a part of your dreams seeing as how I have such great influence in your life.
Jana-I kept thinking of you when I looked at the Neil Diamond look alike. I could hear you singing that line, over and over in me wee head. And let's plan a time for Chicago...stat.
How fun! I love New York. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Wicked rocks!
OK, that is a funny story! I'm still laughing!
Mauvia- Wicked does rock, it is true.
Thanks Laura!
I am so jealous! I still have that black bag you bought for me from the last time you went to NY...Great story and I am glad you had such a fun time together.
I just about had a heart attack b/c I saw another "Jex Family" comment on your blog and I thought, "AM I LOSING IT? I have never commented on this post before . . . or have I? And doesn't MY name appear instead of "Jex Family?" Wow, I was kind of confused for a minute -- but only a minute b/c then I clicked on the name and realized it was just one of our bazillions of relatives that I don't know but with whom I share a last name. Whew.
ANYWAY, I love your NY story. So hilarious. Glad you got another visit recently! How fun!
Kathryn- I forgot I got you that black bag. That is still there actually. People love it.
Elzabar- That would be kinda funny if someone logged into your account and made random comments on peoples blogs. Everytime I'm in NYC I think of my first time there ever with you and co.
Fabulous!!!! I just told Elizabeth we should just have our cousin's retreat in London or Paris... but, New York will do, too.
That is to funny, good thing things worked out so now it is a funny memory and not a remember that weird trip to NY experience!
Oh and I like Brain Williams voice he is the perfect news guy. And I would love to see Conan.
I would love to go to New York and watch Wicked. I love your blog.
Margaret--how in the heck do you know 20 people who would leave comments on your blog?? Impressive, since I have a faithful following of 3 (you, Wes & Dran). :) Your NY story w/ Austin sounds hilarious--maybe I can trick Mike into bidding on tix to Hawaii.
Post a Comment