Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm not no Limburger

The entire lyric is: 'Why don't you dance with me/I'm not no Limburger'
I was about 11 when I first heard this lyric, thanks to the eclectic musical taste of my older sister. I asked my dad, what is Limburger?
It's a stinky cheese Margaret, it's a stinky cheese.



Austin and I saw an article about the worst lyrics ever. Some of the gems on it included:

Elton John:
'If I was a sculptor, but then again, no.'

Van Halen: '
Only time will tell if we stand the test of time.'

Richard Harris/Donna Summer:
' Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think I could take it,

`cause it took so long to bake
And I'll never have that recipe again, oh no!'

It got me thinking about how many catchy songs there are with absurd lyrics. In my opinion, The B-52's probably have some of the most ridiculous yet brilliant lyrics. They are the proud creators of the Limburger line. Reading the aforementioned article, I realized how many "hit" songs are full of silly words and rhymes. Does that turn me off a song? Maybe...I don't love when artists rhyme words with the same word, like dead and dead (cough cough Avril Lavigne). It's like they aren't even trying. But in general I realized that I don't mind.

Some of the bad that popped into my head:

Bell Biv Devoe:
"Never trust a big butt and a smile."

Makes me laugh everytime.


Faith Hill:
"If I could grant you one wish,
I wish you could see the way you kiss."

I don't know one person who would want to see a playback of them kissing someone. And if that is a wish someone granted me, I would be ticked.


LFO:
"Think about that summer and I bug cause I miss it

Like the color purple, macaroni and cheese
Ruby red slippers and a bunch of trees
Call you up, but whats the use
I like kevin bacon, but I hate footloose."

This entire song is full of ridiculous lyrics and yes, I know most of them.

Misty's Song. A song from girls camp.


Things keep coming to my head, but I'm done for now, yet curious. I want to hear what other people think are terrible lyrics. Whether or not you like the song. Please share.

19 comments:

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

how about one I heard Kylie listening to today:
"I can ride a bike with no handlesbars, with no handlebars, with no handlebars" and it's a goofy rap song.

elizabeth said...

Yes the Faith Hill lyrics . . . I believe we discovered those horrid lyrics together? I think the only people who want to see themselves kissing are the people who growl at the end of kissing. All those people probably already have seen themselves kissing. I'm going to do some serious lyric thinking and get back to you on the other bad lyrics. I know I'll think of some good ones.

millie said...

I can only share the goofy lyrics that aren't really the lyrics...but I thought they were. I'm not sure who this is by, but it was late eighties. The actual lyrics are "ocean blue..." repeated quit a bit, but my cousin and I heard "oh shampoo.."

Also with a different cousin at an earlier date, we were playing my aunt's player piano and singing along to Simon and Garfunkel, with all of our heart, "like a bridge over TRUE BLED waters..."

I'll try to remember some actual lyrics that are goofy.

millie said...

Ok, I remembered one. It is a White Stripes song that I like...but it is a little strange.

"Be like the squirrel, girl
Be like the squirrel
Give it a whirl, girl
Be like the squirrel"

It was quite inspirational to me during my troubled single years.

Jody said...

"there is a valley called peace of mind...there is a river running right by it's side" (by the side of what, the valley? would that river then be on a cliff or a mountain? what? I love Millie's comments too funny & true! I think you corrected me when I was singing "stu, stu, studio" no? And I will NEVER forget our 'yell-singing' of Smashmouth on the way from Starwood Reservations. You are one funny friend Margaret and I thank you for some darn funny music related memories!

Margaret said...

Bonnie, that is funny because I just heard that song on the radio. I couldn't tell what kind-of song it was...goofy rap song sounds about right.

Elzabar...I do remember discovering those lyrics with you. In fact that song reminds me of you and Merzy and making fun of it. I expect to see more bad lyrics from you.

Millie- I wonder how many of the bad lyrics are what is in our head and not the actual lyric. Another post maybe. For some reason I picture you singing "...bridge over TRUE BLED water" with your eyes closed.

Jody- Thank you for making me laugh with some of the Misty Song. Such a weird song, I never realized it until I was out of girls camp age.
And I have a feeling that 90% of the population still sings "stu, stu, studio." And Smashmouth...oh how embarrassing. I forgot I did that.

Kara said...

Margaret,
OH, the joy this post brought me. My mind is blanking on dumb lyric songs, but for some reason, I have to change the station every time I hear that "Bleeding Love" song. I don't know why the song in general is lameo to me. Oh I died laughing at the Faith Hill part. Come on Faith.... if you could grant one wish... it would really be to have Timmy see the way he kisses her. Think bigger. Okay, I am on a mission to report bad lyrics when I hear them. Oh, and I must say that we have written some bad lyrics our selves "You've got a naughty body, I think your body's naughty."

Kara said...

Oh, now I remember. Pretty much anything Celine Dion is laughable if you take the time to listen. "Cause I'm your lady, and you are my man. Whenever you reach for me, I'll do all that I can." That makes no sense at all.

Jacqueline said...

uh hem..i think its important to remember that most of the mentioned artists did not write their songs and are merely singing the words of the writer hired to make them famous. exception of course, being the b-52's...you would never pay money for those lyrics. but love them i do!

Kate and Dave said...

um margaret, i'm apparently masquerading as my babysitter of last night, jacqueline s. sorry 'bout that!

adrienne said...

Oh, Margaret! There are so many in country music!! Let me just say that I'm a country convert, so I do love country music (along with a lot of other stuff), but there so many stupid lyrics. "Ticks" by Brad Paisley (funny song) "I'd like to check you for ticks, you never know where one might be. There's lots of places that are hard to reach..." "Don't worry, babe, I got your back. I've also got your front." Just to name a few...

Oh, I just though of a good one: Biz Markie "Just a Friend"
I asked her her name, she said blah-blah-blah
She had 9/10 pants and a very big bra

Who uses "blah-blah-blah" as song lyrics!?! Hilarious song!
Now you've got me trying to think of more...

Margaret said...

Kara- Thanks for your contribution. I forgot about Celine. Those lyrics are great. I forgot about our lyrics too. That was more of a rap, so maybe we'd get away with it.
Also, remember our rendition of that Brian McKnight song (I think that was his name..)? "One, I am your dream come true...Two.." so on and so forth.

Kate- It's true that many artists don't write their lyrics. I think most of the ones I mentioned were written by the singer or at least co-written by the singer. Either way, the singer is putting their reputation and voice to these horrid things. They have some responsibility. If I were a famous singer, which someday I plan on being, I wouldn't sing lame lyrics...unless the song could make me a whole lotta money. Maybe that is what this is really all about.
Mo money mo problems.

Oh, and Jaqueline eh? Maybe you should pull a 'Flipping Out' on her and video tape her doings. I kid, I kid.

Love you. Thanks for the B-52's bliss you shared with me.

Adrienne- Country music could possibly win the horrid lyrics hands down. Brad Paisley..."I'm so much cooler online." But he is adored by millions.
"Blah-blah-blah" in a song just isn't trying. But the big bra line is kinda funny.

Jana said...

Faith Hill bugs...my one wish would be her retirement.

The B-52's do no wrong. They can rock the rock lobster all night long.

millie said...

I was in my car searching for something to listen to on the radio when I heard...

She's a brick house,
She's mighty mighty,
Jus' lettin' it all hang out.

Your blog assignment came immediately to mind. I have just looked up all they lyrics and I probably could have gotten away with posting the entire song. I'm wondering what woman really gets that sheepish smile after getting the compliment of being a brick house.

Margaret said...

Millie, I've heard that song so many times, but never really thought about it. That is a good one. I'm going to go look up the rest of the lyrics.

Meredith said...

this isn't a lyric, but "since u been gone" by kelly clarkson. oh boy. i get so uber confused when i hear that song/see the song title because

the letter U

is still very much a part of the alphabet!

then i start to worry about all the words whose changes should be in effect by now, since that song came out, you know, like, before my MISHY MISH, so...this song is a direct reminder of the insulting slovenly way in which the american language hasn't been updated.

kelly clarkson done sung it first. since U been gone, she can breathe! so now what are the rest of us going to do to honor our declaration???

maybe i just need to go to sleep. :)

loves you, merzy does!

Margaret said...

Ah Merzy I love you.
In long standing tradition you need to change the U with I. That will make all the difference. "Since I been gone, U can breathe for the first time."

Hilary said...

It's more the song than the lyrics, and it makes me want to throw up, and I've only heard this one part of it, but for some reason I hear people sing it every once in a while (maybe because I"m in Young Women's:
"Ello, ello, ello, ello, V..E!!" Probably the worst song on in existence.

Margaret said...

Hilary, I would never have remembered that song. Isn't that Ashley Simpson? Very bad. My young women usually just sing High School Musical.